Wednesday, October 3, 2012

One Month Anniversary!

As of today, I have been in London for one month! Crazy, right?

Time sure flies when you're having the time of your life. I can't believe all the places I've seen, all the cool things I've done, and all the wonderful people I've met in just one month's time. As I went on with my daily business today, I had mixed emotions about this one month anniversary. Part of me was a bit sad, because the time really has gone by so fast. I have just over two months left here in London, and I can already tell I'm going to be sad to leave. Another part of me felt like I had achieved something great. In one month, I've familiarized myself with the city, seen basically every tourist attraction here, gone on multiple day trips, been to a real English town outside of London, seen a musical, eaten my way through many markets, made wonderful friends, and can honestly say that London feels like home. This one month mark means I'm here, I'm settled, and I'm in the groove of life in London.

When I came back from my weekend trip to Bath, as I walked off the bus onto the streets of London I truly felt like I was back home again. The familiarity of the city - the sounds of streetcars and buses driving by, the wind blowing in the trees, and the smells from restaurants making their way into the street - welcomed me home. My tiny apartment complete with a twin bed and bean bag chair looked so warm and welcoming despite the white walls and lack of decoration. It was in this moment that I realized just how comfortable I feel here. I am proud to have been able to call London my home for the last month, and will continue to do so until my plan touches down on American ground!

With all this being said, part of me sees this one month mark as one month closer to coming home. While I love London and simply can't get enough, every time I think of my return home I can't help but smile. Seeing my family and my dogs, catching up with my friends, having my Mom cook for me, eating at the familiar restaurant down the street - those are the things I cannot wait to come back to. I know my time in London is more than limited, and if I blink I'll wake up at home and be dying to come back. I suppose these mixed emotions are to be expected and even a good sign - that I love London and my experiences here, but I can't wait to return back home to the people and places I love.


No comments:

Post a Comment